Saturday, November 15, 2008

Deep thoughts this week...

This week has been pretty crazy. Besides the normal hectic stuff, Thursday we spent three hours of class discussing grief counseling. This was a really tough class session for everyone I think. You could almost cut the air with a knife it was so thick. We learned about grief counseling for the first part and then we had to practice using our new information and skills. I was told to play the client, while my classmate had to play the counselor. I was supposed to be a high school student who had to go to the counseling office because I couldn't stop crying in class after I lost my best friend in a car accident two weeks prior. Fun, huh? Some parts of learning counseling is so fantastic, but this was, well, not so much. Then to add to the fun we got to watch a video of Ed Jacobs (A therapist famous for Impact Therapy). He was helping a client who lost her father to a potential suicide in the Vietnam War some thirteen years prior, when she was like thirteen herself. It made me want to start balling in class, while the rest of the class seemed remarkably composed. I am such a sympathy crier though. It is pathetic. I can just imagine how she felt that her dad was gone and she said she felt all alone and knew he would have been there for her. Sheesh! This class brought up a lot of emotions for me as well and I just wanted to leave the room and run for the hills, but I didn't. I just sat there stewing.

Also this week I had to meet with some friends mid-week for a school assignment, but was anxious about how it would turn out since I don't really like making school plans in the middle of a week where I barely feel as though I see my daughter as it is. I felt like I was being bamboozled into the meeting, but heck, it was only one day out of my life and I was able to take my daughter out to dinner beforehand. Things turned out okay though and my teammates are very nice.

Additionally, this week my teacher let us off the hook for one of our assignments this week, but she is making us choose out of three different types of assignments for our final project. I can't decide, but she wants me to do a tape of me counseling someone, but that is seriously not fun for me. I might also do a Lifestyle assessment of my friend "J" but as close as her and I am, I am not sure I can ask her some of the very intrusive questions this assessment forces me to ask people. I am not sure I can discuss her personal life in a paper the way I am being asked to. Yikes! We'll see!

Tonight we went to a party up in the backwoods of the mountains at a log cabin-ish house of some people we have known awhile now. They are actually the parents of our daughter's friend, but we really love the parents of her friends and we have all known each other for so long that we just seem to click and be at a good comfort level; opposed to those lame kids' parties where you want to go hide in a corner somewhere. In fact, the host was telling us that she went to a party at her daughter's new school and one of the moms said she was drinking spiked coffee because she hated the parties so much. Although I have been to parties where I wished my drink was spiked (really I am only kidding), I have never felt that way with this group. Anyway, we had a really nice time and I am glad because I am so not a party person in general because I am a major dork; although I have held my share of them, it is painful for me. LOL

No comments: