Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Random Thoughts

http://yourmorals.org/ <- This is a site I learned about in one of my classes the other day. I haven't been brave enough to take any of the tests yet; although, not because I don't think I am a moral person, because I know I am, but I am just too dang tired and my brain is full. I think it is an interesting concept because you can find out about your personal morals and aid in research at the same time. The site will even give you a score, which is very interesting as well because I thought morals were somewhat subjective and culturally based; yet the Internet is worldwide. Anyway, someday when I am less mentally drained I will venture to the site to see what they have to say about me. ;)

*************

Another random thought that crossed my mind today was regarding cultures and generations. I will talk some other day about why I was thinking about this - genograms, family constellations and other therapeutic blah, blah, blah, but right now I was realizing how it was strange how things can change over the course of a few years in a family. For example, staying at home as a mother used to be the "norm" although I question this was ever the case since no one in my family ever did. In fact, I think I read some 40% of moms worked in the 1950's? That's a lot. Anyway, so my coworker was saying the other day that mom's today have it easier because moms today just hand off their kids to someone else (I will also deal with the fact that this woman gets under my skin with her annoying judgements of me another time). I was saying that I think moms today have a more difficult job because we have to worry about car seats, the Internet (MySpace, etc), toilet locks, cupboard locks, texting, e-mail, iPods, allergens, etc. (it's a wonder we maintain our sanity). Plus, I also have to figure out how to not have my daughter be some computer junky when I just got her pre-kindergarten report card that assesses her technological abilities! Anyway... I was also noticing that from when I was a kid I called my grandmother Grandma Jones (for example) and calling her Grandma Ruth would be strange, but for my daughter, calling her grandparents by their last name would seem really bizarre. She would never say Grandma Smith, she simply says Grandma Hannah. When did we make the switch? Or is this just my family because my daughter has so dang many grandparents? I think this has some connection between the way people today feel less of a power difference between elderly people and younger people. I know I am raising my daughter as an equal person in our family and not simply a "seen and not heard" child that I often felt like growing up. So maybe that has an impact on the way we view things. Okay, just a thought!

No comments: