Monday, February 9, 2009

Just Be Yourself...

I was listening to the Oprah Spirituality podcast and was relieved to hear them discussing what Michael Bernard Beckweth calls the "Friction of fiction." Over the years, the biggest conflicts I have had have been with people who aren't real. No, I'm not talking about imaginary people; I am talking about people who live with a facade around them and who are afraid to let others see the real them.

Previously I had trouble with a coworker who would constantly tell me how great her kids were, how perfect her life was, how fantastic she was every day, but it was insincere. How do I know it was insincere? Well, first of all, people aren't perfect. Anyone dealing with someone like this should just tell themselves that straightaway. Forget their intimidating nature and ways. Set aside your feelings of inadequacy and doubt. Tell yourself "People aren't perfect." I think too, if they were, they probably wouldn't flaunt it like these other people do. After all, there's nothing perfect about boasting about oneself. How else do I know? One day I asked her how her night was and she said "Great!" and then proceeded to break down into tears. See, that's the problem with living like this...eventually you'll snap. As with any person who is living a lie, you can only "act" for so long and then the real you will become transparent. That's what I have to tell myself when I have a boss that can't do the job: "No problem, she will slip up."

Anyway, I think Elizabeth Lesser said it best when she said these people do the rest of the world an injustice because we let people think there is something wrong with them, when in reality imperfection is normal. Elizabeth went on to say something like "It is the most ironic, strange thing that it takes so much courage to be authentic." I love the way her mind works. She is a guru. Besides, how happy can you be when you are not able to be yourself. It sounds like a catch 22 when you are happiest by having the freedom to be miserable, but I believe it's true!

Additionally, I liked the way Michael Bernard Beckweth talked about asking oneself during crises "What is this crisis trying to teach me?" He said that a crisis is a question trying to ask itself." Like "What is the universe or God trying to teach me?" Another thing he said: "We don't solve our problems, we outgrow them." I think this is so true. It's like a child learning to crawl, walk, talk, etc. Those things are no longer issues for them and they move onto new issues. There will always be new issues and when they arrive, the only way we will get through is by asking ourselves what we can learn.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this spirituality podcast and feel I learned a lot from it. Just wanted to share!

No comments: