Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Don't Always Know Where I'm Going

I just heard about a book called "Not Quite What I was Planning" by Larry Smith, which is about six word memoirs. In other words, if you must chose six words to sum up your life story, what six do you chose? So for instance, "It is okay to be average" or "I never got over that day" or "My life should have been different" and so on. My husband chose "Joined the Army, Became a Father." He is out of the army now, but that is how we met and his daughter is the light of his life. So, for the most part, this does a good job of summarizing his life. I was thinking about this, about my life and my six words, but I had a hard time thinking of a sufficient memoir title.

I am not sure if it's because my life is still in the works or because I always have so dang much to say that I couldn't possibly narrow my thoughts to six measly words. It is so much easier for me to think of other people and write theirs' for them. For example, I have a friend that is so great, but she is too shy to come forward and announce her strengths. I always get sad when I see that, so for her I chose: "No Confidence, but So Much Potential." I also thought of a relative of mine (who shall not be named), who never got over the life she should have had to the point where it seemed to impact the life she does have. For her I chose "The Great Life I never Noticed." I also have a friend who only sees the negative side of her life and thinks everyone else is holding her back: "No One's to Blame but Myself" (okay that may be a stretch with "one's"). There was this girl I used to know a girl from the Ukraine who fled conflict in her country and who was just so beautiful, but had no idea how truly pretty she was - inside and out. I titled her story "From Great Adversity to Great Beauty." I think telling others the titles you chose from them could almost be therapeutic if we ever got brave enough to say them out loud to others, or hear them out loud from others for that matter.

I also like the idea that the six words could mean anything to the people who read them, but those that chose them know the real story behind the words they chose. Additionally, I love that six words can create so much speculation and so much conversation among the people who hear them. I think that was what the writer had in mind when he compiled these six word stories from both famous people and average Joe's. Anyway, that's the basic idea behind the book. I can't wait to get a copy of my own! By the way, Amazon.com has it for $9.60!

Signed: "I am a work in progress..." ;)

No comments: